Sour Gas (H2S) Resistant Elastomers
Sour gas containing hydrogen sulfide/sulphide (H2S) can have very detrimental effects on elastomers. Non-resistant elastomers will become hard and brittle, losing their elastic properties and their ability to seal, ultimately leading to seal failure.
PPE has developed a number of sour gas resistant elastomer materials for the oil, gas and petrochemical processing industries with third party test certification to various international sour gas test standards and conditions. PPE's EnDura®, Perlast® and Perlast® ICE materials offer the widest selection of sour gas resistant elastomers to meet any application requirements.
Standard tests for sour gas resistant elastomers:
- NORSOK M710 Annex A - Ageing of elastomeric materials (section 7.2)
- ISO 10423 (API 6A) - Petroleum and natural gas industries - Drilling and production equipment - Wellhead and Christmas tree equipment section F.22.214.171.124 (DD/EE and FF/HH).
- NACE TM0187 - Elastomeric materials in sour gas environments
- ISO 23936-2 Section 7 and Annex A "Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries: Non-metallic materials in contact with media related to oil and gas production - Part 2: Elastomers".
High concentration H2S testing
Going a step further than conventional tests, PPE has undertaken material testing at elevated temperatures and sour gas concentrations of 25% which exceed the minimum requirements of the 'standard' 2% NORSOK test. These higher test parameters are more representative of real-life service conditions and seek to find the limits of the elastomer's capability and give the design engineer a level of comfort for the design limits in a given sealing application.
PPE material grades tested to sour gas standards:
- NORSOK M710: EPDM, HNBR, FEPM-TFE/P (Aflas®), FKM, FFKM
- ISO 10423 (API 6A): EPDM, HNBR, FEPM-TFE/P (Aflas®) FKM, FFKM
- NACE TM0187: FKM
For details of PPE's sour gas resistant elastomer material grades download "Sour Gas Resistant Elastomers" brochure below.
Watch webinars: "Sealing with elastomers in Sour Gas" and "Low temperature sealing with elastomers in sour gas".
Send us your requirements
|Brochure||Sour Gas Resistant Elastomers|
|Brochure||Oil & Gas|
|Brochure||Perlast ICE Elastomers|
|Brochure||RGD Resistant Elastomers|