Professional development training course Advanced elastomer technology and seal design for the oil & gas industry
A one or two day professional development course
This course will focus on real-life applications. Its aim is to ensure all participants acquire a fundamental understanding of elastomer sealing technology and performance relating to critical sealing applications. The course will include case studies with practical suggestions on implementing improvements to the delegates own applications.
At the end of the training session, delegates will be able to:
- Define the range of elastomers available and understand their inherent strengths and weaknesses.
- Specify the optimum elastomer material for any given application, and how to achieve cost savings by informed seal material selection.
- Write a robust sealing specification and understand avoiding over-specification.
- Compare the mechanical properties of different elastomers, and relate that information to the effects of high pressures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mechanisms related to explosive decompression (‘ED’ or ‘RGD’), and how to overcome potential problems.
- Compare and contrast a range of high-pressure seal designs; includes back-up rings, T-seals, cap seals etc.
- Combine the latest materials technology with modern design techniques to design a more competitive product.
- Specify the causes of seal failure and take appropriate action to eliminate future occurrences and potential warranty claims.
- Identify and diagnose potential sealing problems early thereby extending preventative maintenance (PM) cycles and reducing any possible downtime.
- Understand how O-ring seals are manufactured.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for:
- Service and Maintenance Engineers
- Design Engineers involved in seal design or seal specification
- Quality Managers and Engineers
- Technical Managers
- Technical Purchasing
- Material Engineers
- Engineering Apprentices/Trainees/Graduates
Attendance at the workshop will result in individuals developing their knowledge, understanding and skills in various aspects of elastomer technology, seal design and how this impacts on applications they are involved with. They will be able take this knowledge and apply it in their day-to-day activities to achieve cost savings, more robust designs and display to their own customers a greater depth of knowledge.
The seminar is based on a combination of interactive activities - group and individual exercises, case studies, hands-on problem solving tasks and discussions - along with formal technical input from the course trainers. Each delegate recieves a certificate of attendance and a course handbook which provides a valuable source of information for future reference.
Download the course outline (PDF)
“I enjoyed it and got a great deal of important information about material selection and sizing of o-rings in critical applications. I feel that I can now confidently design any o-ring seal”.
“Instructors were great. I particularly enjoyed the hands-on approach and group activities”.
“Information was given clearly and the instructors took time to make it easy to understand technical concepts”.
“A very beneficial day with a relaxed, friendly atmosphere, which contributed to my sealing knowledge”.