Wet Chemical Processes
Including Electro or Electroless Chemical Deposition
Wet chemistry is still widely used in the processing of wafers and substrates particularly in two key areas:-
- Removal of organic, oxide or metallic and ionic contaminants at various stages of the manufacturing process. Processes include RCA or SC1 and SC2 cleans and resist wet strip.
- Application of copper in the interconnect or 3D packaging requires electro chemical deposition or electroless chemical deposition.
In addition to high resistance to specific chemicals, it is imperative that seal materials do not contribute organic or trace metallic contamination to the cleaning or stripping fluids.
Appropriate choice of PPE recommended products will lead to:-
- Cost optimized recommendation dependent on application
- Low chemical erosion rates
- Low trace metal contamination
- Low particle release rates where critical
- Low pinholes in thin bonded elastomer material applications
- Minimized impact on device yield and electrical yield
- Minimized copper plate up in ECD
- Reduced cost of consumables (CoC)
The table below indicates PPE's recommended and compatible elastomer material grades. Primary grades are geared towards critical system / tool locations. For further guidance on appropriate seal choices please find your nearest sales contact. You can also see our Perlast® materials for semiconductor applications here.
|Cleaning / Etching||25 - 150°C|
(77 - 302°F)
|UPDI, Piranha, SC1, SC2, O3, HF (49%), H3PO4, HNO3||G80A, G67P, G75M||G74P, G100XT|
|25 - 125°C|
(77 - 257°F)
|H2SO4 + oxidant, organic acids, NMP, Amines||G80A, G67P, G75M||G74P, G100XT|
|25 - 100°C|
(77 - 212°F)
|CuSO4 solution H2SO4, H2O2||G80A, V75SC||Y75G|