Professional development training course An introduction to elastomers and how O-rings work
A half day (2-3 hours) professional development course
This introductory level training course is available as a half day course or as a 2-3 hour mini workshop, held during a lunch period (lunch-and-learn) or as a breakfast briefing session; both options can be tailored specifically to the requirements of the hosting company (subject to a minimum group size).
This course provides an overview of the topics covered in the 1 day course to act as an introduction to elastomer technology and seal design. Many of the fundamental topics and principles are applied to live projects throughout the course/workshop.
Contact Donna Maskell at PPE for further details and availability.
Attending this course will enable you to:
- Understand basic polymer science and why elastomers are effective sealing materials
- Define the range of elastomers available and understand their inherent strengths and weaknesses.
- Ask appropriate questions of elastomer manufacturers in order to compare and evaluate the suitability of elastomer materials
- Assess materials for suitability and specify the optimum elastomer material for any given application.
- Identify the causes of seal failure and understand how these can be avoided.
- Explain how O-rings seal and the different groove configurations.
- Understand the effect of temperature, pressure and mechanical constraints on the effectiveness of O-rings seals.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for:
- Purchasing Managers
- Sales & Marketing personnel
- Customer service & support personnel
- Engineering Apprentices
“I enjoyed it and got a great deal of important information about material selection and sizing of o-rings in critical applications. I feel that I can now confidently design any o-ring seal”.
“Instructors were great. I particularly enjoyed the hands-on approach and group activities”.
“Information was given clearly and the instructors took time to make it easy to understand technical concepts”.
“A very beneficial day with a relaxed, friendly atmosphere, which contributed to my sealing knowledge”.